Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Gift Set -- Tutorial

Well I have been working away on this Gift Set for Christmas and I was not going to post it here until fall but I have had a few (ok more than a few) people ask for the dimensions and instructions on this one, so I made up a quick tutorial using some Summer Smooches Cards and colours!  Below is my original Christmas set and I will post more on this later.





You will need to start with 2 12x12 pieces of Card Stock, 2  8.5x11 pieces of CS and one 7.5x7.5 square Window Sheet.
For the bottom of the box you will score a full sheet of 12x12 at 1" and 2" on all sides of the paper.

For the Lid you will want to cut the paper to 101/8"x101/8" and score at 1' on all sides.

TIP: If you want to stamp your boxes to decorate them now would be the time.

To create the hole in the lid I found it simple to just cut out a 6x6 piece of copy paper and glue it lightly down to the center of the lid.  Then using my cutting tool I cut out the center using the copy paper as a guide.

I cut all the tabs on the four corners and added a window sheet using tape runner.
Then fold the scored edges and glue the tabs in place.  Set your lid aside and start on your base.

Since you have already scored your 12x12 base you now need to cut out the four corners and snip out some tabs.  As I have shown on this white sheet the shaded areas are cut out and the green lines (I hope you can see them) are where you cut the tabs.

Once your tabs are ready you can fold in all of the score lines as shown.

I added adhesive to each of the four sides just under the first score mark.  The tabs will tuck into each of the folds next to them but I added adhesive is just to give it stability.

Now that you have your lid and base created you can move on to the inserts that will divide your cards and tags up.  Using your 2 pieces of 8.5x11 cut out one each of the following:
 6 x 7 7/8
7 5/8 x 3 1/4
11 x 2
9 5/8 x 5 7/8
Score the 6 x 7 7/8  piece on the short side at
2,  2 7/8, and 3
3/4
fold and insert as shown
Score the 9 5/8 x 5 7/8  piece on the long side at
3 1/4,  4 1/8,  and 5
fold and insert as shown









Score the 7 5/8 x 3 1/4 piece on the long side at
                        2 5/8,  3 1/2 and 4 3/8
fold and insert as shown

 Score the 11 x 2 piece on the long side at
2 1/4, 3 1/8, 4, 7, 7 7/8 and 8 3/4.
Fold and insert as shown.  You may want to glue all the pieces down but I found they could be tucked under the folded edge of the base and they stayed in place.   I did glue the folds together so they were good and firm.
When you are all done the inserts you should have a space for full size cards with envelopes, 3x3 cards with envelopes, 3 spaces for tags and an extra space I used for twine and a pen.  You could easily put in more tags if you wish.


There is lots of potential to decorate the box, lid and all the fun pieces that go inside.  I did add ribbon to the Christmas box I made at the top of this post.  I will have more details on that closer to the holidays.  For now I used some Summer Smooches to make a fun birthday kit.



I got the idea for this from a kit Jill Hillard did a while back. I created the dimensions for mine from scratch but after I did all that I saw Jill did provide some dimensions (that would have made my life easier LOL).  Check out her blog at  Jill's Card Creations she has the most amazing ideas!

I hope you like the gift set and I hope the dimensions help. 
Thanks for looking!
Janet Y

12 comments:

  1. Hi Janet,
    Many thanks for this wonderful Tutorial .

    Heike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tutorial! This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Can't wait to make it TODAY!! I designated today as my fun stampin' day and I'm gonna love making this gift box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Your project has been chosen for Blog finds of the Day on 8/1. If you would like to see other projects chosen please visit blogfindsoftheday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a cool gift. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! Fabulous project and an incredible tutorial. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous project - I absolutely love it!! Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial (I was one of the many who were asking for it!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I made the Christmas one! I am just in love with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet,
    Just beautiful....thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you going to offer this as a class for your customers? If so, what will you charge and how long do you think it will take them? I LOVE this and know my customers would too - thank you so much for sharing the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not thought about doing this as a class but I would most likely go one of two options. Maybe 35 CAD for the project or 75 and they get the Scentsational bundle and the project. I have not given it too much thought. Most of my clients are scrapbookers not card makers :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love it...wonderful tutorial...thanks for sharing as it's helpful to me.Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments they mean the world to me. Have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...